English Grammar Pattern 84
Conditions using "Would"
A. (1) If I (2) were taller, I (3) would try to play professional basketball.
B. I (1) would try to play professional basketball (2) if I (3) were taller.
Grammar Pattern 84 is another pattern that is similar to
82. The difference is that Grammar Pattern 82 uses "could" which is similar to
"can" and shows possibility. Grammar Pattern 84 uses "would" which expresses the
idea of a decision, although in a conditional phrase, this is not a real decision!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. If I were rich, I would buy a house in Hawaii.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
2. If it weren't raining, we would be able to go to the park.
3. If they didn't have a big house with five dogs and seven cats, they would
travel more often.
4. If you stopped staying up until four in the morning, you would have more energy at work.
5. If she didn't enjoy studying so much, she wouldn't come to the library so often.
1. Would you start your own company if you had the chance?
2. If you had knew the future, how would you use that information?
3. What would you do if you didn't have to work?
4. Where would you live if you could choose any place in the world?
5. When would you like to live if you had a "time machine"?
6. Who would you like to meet if you had the chance to meet any famous person?
Send this page to a friend: