English Grammar Pattern 83
Past Conditions using "Could"
A. She (1) could (2) have come here (3) if her car (4) hadn't broken down.
B. (1) If her car (2) hadn't broken down, she (3) could (4) have come here.
Grammar Pattern 83 is similar to
82 which uses "could" to express something that is not possible. Pattern 83, however,
describes an imaginary possibility in the past which did NOT, in fact,happen.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. I could have made a lot of money if I had started a business 20 years ago.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
2. We could have seen a movie if we had left home earlier.
3. She could have told us the news if her phone hadn't been stolen.
4. If the bank hadn't closed early, we could have withdrawn some money.
5. If I hadn't been lazy as a student, I could have had a much better job today!
1. If you had been born in New York, what could you have experienced differently?
2. What could you have done in high school if you had had better teachers?
3. If you had studied many languages before, could you have learned English more effectively?
4. What could have helped you to be a more successful student?
5. Where could you have studied if you had wanted to learn French?
Send this page to a friend: