English Grammar Pattern 80
"Should have" (past)
I had an accident today – I should have been more careful!
Grammar Pattern 80 is used to talk about something we did not do, but it was a good
idea to do it! Now, when we are talking about the past, we realize our mistake!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. It's raining today – we should have brought an umbrella!
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
2. Thanks for helping me - I should have talked to you last week!
3. You will start working next year – should learn more about accounting now.
4. The salesman didn't make a good impression - He should have spoken more confidently.
5. The movie we watched wasn't very good - We shouldn't have wasted our money on it!
1. What should you have done before you finished university?
2. What should you have learned before starting your first job?
3. If you find yourself in the rain without an umbrella, what should you have done?
4. If you eat in a restaurant with very bad food, what should you have done?
5. Where should you have visited during your last vacation?
Send this page to a friend: