Grammar Pattern 33|
There was / There were
There was a big storm last night.
This grammar pattern is similar to sentence pattern 32, except that it is in the past. Use
this in conversations about things that happened before now. It's quite easy, so be sure
to learn these sentences until you can say them perfectly.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. There were seventeen students in the class.
2. There was a tall student sitting in the front.
3. There was a big earthquake in China a few years ago.
4. Was there a party last night?
5. Were there many people at the meeting yesterday?
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. Was there a special event that changed your life?
2. Were there many good teachers in your high school?
3. Was there a McDonald's in your town when you were a child?
4. Were there interesting TV shows on TV when you were a child?
5. How many TV stations were there in your hometown 20 years ago?
Send this page to a friend: