Grammar Pattern 19|
Noun + Verb + Longer Noun
This is my favorite book.
Pattern 18 has a longer verb at the beginning of the sentence. In Pattern 19, however,
the longer verb comes at the end. The model sentence shows a "noun phrase" with
three words ("my favorite book"). Pronunciation Practice sentence 9 has a noun
phrase with six words ("their work on the business deal"). Of course, there is no limit
to the possible length of a noun phrase. (Let's try a looooooooooong example! "These
lessons are the most useful lessons on English grammar and sentence patterns in
any country on Earth or on any website now, in the past, and in the future"!)
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. That is my house.
2. The women are famous lawyers.
3. He loves to play the guitar.
4. He enjoys steak with potatos.
5. I hate to drive during rush hour!
6. She's crazy about playing tennis.
7. I love to drive down country roads!
8. I want hot coffee with no milk or sugar.
9. They finished their work on the business deal.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. What do you love to do?
2. Are you crazy about any sport?
3. How do you drink your tea?
4. What kind of coffee do you like?
5. What work have you finished recently?
6. What kind of worker are you?
7. What kind of worker is your father?
Send this page to a friend: